San Antonio Independent School District (SAISD) Superintendent Pedro Martinez has hit the ground running since starting his new position in June. Martinez has charged SAISD’s board of trustees and the community with an ambitious, five-year plan to elevate the performance of every district school.
Explore the details of his plan in a story published on the Rivard Report in July when it was presented to the board: “‘The First 100 Days’: SAISD Raises the Bar High.”
The district’s 54,000 students are 92% minority, most from low-income households. The challenges run deep in San Antonio’s largest inner city school district and are outlined by the plan’s 10 goals (see chart below). SAISD will host seven community meetings to lay out these goals and gather community input.
All meetings start at 6 p.m. in the school cafeteria:
- Wednesday, Sept. 9: Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave., 78201
- Thursday, Sept. 10: Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave., 78210
- Thursday, Sept. 17: Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St., 78220
- Tuesday, Sept. 29: Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Dr., 78210
- Wednesday, Sept. 30: Lanier High School, 1514 W. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd., 78207
- Tuesday, Oct. 6: Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Dr., 78212
- Wednesday, Oct. 14: Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St., 78204
The list of dates and locations can also be found on the Districts website at www.saisd.net.
*Featured/top image: SAISD Superintendent Pedro Martinez. Photo by Iris Dimmick.