The San Antonio Department of Arts & Culture has unveiled ¡Adelante San Antonio!, a mural by local artist duo Dos Mestizx, in the airport’s brand-new Consolidated Rental Car Facility.
Hired last week, business consultant and longtime opera patron Liz Tullis has begun her new job as Opera San Antonio’s new executive director.
The San Antonio Symphony currently ranks 55th in terms of national orchestra budgets, says conductor Sebastian Lang-Lessing. Whether recent outpourings of community support can give the struggling Symphony the sustainable future it needs remains an open question.
Opera San Antonio is undergoing its second leadership change in recent months, with the hiring of Adam Diegel as artistic director. Diegel replaces Enrique Carreón-Robledo, who had been general and artistic Director of the company.
Viability is a major issue for the San Antonio Symphony, which has struggled to recruit and maintain large corporate and individual donors in its recent past.
County Judge Wolff and Mayor Nirenberg on Tuesday announced a plan aimed at incentivizing the Symphony Society of San Antonio to privately fundraise.
Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff and Mayor Ron Nirenberg met Monday morning to work on what kind of funding would be available for San Antonio Symphony operations, with City and County managers looking to have a plan in place on Tuesday, Wolff said.
Sebastian Lang-Lessing, the San Antonio Symphony’s musical director and conductor, announced to a Tricentennial Celebration concert audience Friday night that the orchestra’s shows would go on, reversing the announced cancellation of the Symphony’s season.
Its season was canceled Wednesday night, but the unraveling of the structure of the San Antonio Symphony had begun months earlier, at a May 5 meeting last year.
This weekend’s Tricentennial Celebration concerts, Fri. and Sat. Jan. 5-6, will go on, however the remainder of the 2017-18 season has been canceled.