Courtesy of SABOR
The dog days of summer are often a time for relaxation by the pool or a family trip to your favorite vacation spot. At the same time, many Americans take advantage of the warmer months to put their house on the market. According to the National Association of Realtors®, one-third of homes are sold during the summer months. This popularity is due to the break in school for kids as well as the flexibility of buyers to take time off their work schedules to move.
But how can you as a seller take advantage of this summer season and make your property stand out to potential buyers? Here are a few tips to help you get your house sold before the leaves start to turn.
- Keep your house cool. Keep potential buyers comfortable as they tour your house by keeping the air conditioning at a reasonable temperature. This will help them imagine escaping the summer heat in their new home. But be careful – you don’t want it to feel like an icebox, either.
- Summer curb appeal. Your front yard is the first thing potential buyers will notice when they pull into the driveway. So make sure your yard and flowerbeds are well-landscaped and maintained. Remember, grass grows faster in the summer, so mow your lawn regularly. Your home’s curb appeal is the first chance to impress potential buyers, so be sure to remove any debris from the lawn, sweep the walkway, clean your porch, and repaint any areas that are in need of repair.
- Feature your outdoor areas. Spruce up your backyard deck with a nice seating area and clear it of debris. If you don’t have a deck, consider arranging some outdoor furniture to show buyers what they can do with the space. Also, if you have a pool, this can be a huge selling feature during the summer months. Make sure it is clean, and have some seating nearby so buyers can picture themselves lounging out there.
- Decorate with summer in mind. Consider using brighter colors that match the summer atmosphere outside to capitalize on the season. Also, open those heavy drapes and let the natural sunlight in. This will help make the rooms look bigger and more inviting.
- Mark your calendar. Plan around your summer vacations and list your home accordingly. Timing is everything when it comes to selling a home, so make sure that when offers start coming in, you are available.
- Work with a REALTOR®. It’s important to work with a REALTOR®, a member of the San Antonio Board of REALTORS®, who is familiar with your community. These professionals know the pricing strategies and buyer preferences that will help bring better results. Every REALTOR® has pledged to uphold a higher ethical standard than the typical real estate agent, so be sure when you choose your agent that he or she is a REALTOR®.
Keeping these tips in mind will help you increase your chances of quickly finding the right buyer for your home this summer. For more information on buying, selling, or leasing your home, visit SABOR.com and use a San Antonio area REALTOR®.