Receive our most important stories in your inbox every day.
To further prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, Mayor Ron Nirenberg mandated Wednesday that the dining rooms of all San Antonio bars and restaurants temporarily close beginning at midnight.
All bars and restaurants will be closed to in-house patrons for the next 30 days, with restaurants allowed to continue operating drive-through service and fulfilling takeout orders for curbside pickup. Gov. Greg Abbott loosened state laws Wednesday to permit restaurants to deliver alcoholic beverages with food orders.
The temporary shutdown order also includes gyms, bingo parlors, bowling alleys, health studios, commercial amusement businesses, and other entertainment businesses confined to a single indoor space, Nirenberg said, and violators will be fined. See the order for more details.
The move to close such establishments follows the mayor’s decision Monday to issue an emergency public health order banning all “mass gatherings” of 50 people or more.
“We are now entering the most difficult phase in the rapidly changing battle against the virus,” Nirenberg said in a press conference. “Because we are entering this new phase, I’m issuing a declaration of public health emergency order number four, which adds more restrictions on public gatherings to prevent the possible spread of coronavirus.”
The decision mirrors that of other major cities nationwide, including Dallas, Houston, and Austin, which closed bars and restaurants earlier this week.
San Antonio has more than 3,000 restaurants, most locally owned. Geoff Bezuidenhout, president of the San Antonio Restaurant Association, said given the trend of closures in Texas, the closure of dining rooms and bars in San Antonio did not come as a surprise.
“We are still disappointed in this decision,” said Bezuidenhout, owner of Picnikins Cafe & Catering. “The mayor delayed this decision for as long as he felt he could. The few extra days gave us time to meet with our employees, families, and suppliers to form a plan of action unique to each of our establishments.”
He added that he and the state’s restaurant association leaders are advocating for the industry to reopen as soon as possible.
As the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in San Antonio climbed to 11 on Tuesday, closures among retail, hospitality, and other consumer outlets have been widespread.
Also Wednesday, Ingram Park Mall announced a temporary closure as many of its stores were closing their doors.
Every day brings new developments and decisions by government and public health leaders to control the local coronavirus outbreak. We strive to be a trustworthy news source for all in the community–especially during this tumultuous time.
You rely on us for credible reporting, and we rely on readers like you to support our nonprofit newsroom. Can we count on you?
Our reporters are risking a lot to be on the streets chronicling this unprecedented crisis and its impact on our health care systems, local economy, and daily lives. We've been asking our readers to show support for this important public service by making a monthly donation or a one-time gift in whatever amount you can afford.
These donations are helping offset the loss of advertising revenue we normally rely on from local businesses. Can we count on you?
Nirenberg stopped short of calling for a curfew but discouraged citizens from leaving their homes after hours in order to “ease the burden of first responders.”
He also sought to prevent ongoing panic-buying in San Antonio. “I want to emphasize that food, water, and other essential goods are plentiful,” Nirenberg said. “We do not have shortages. The shelves have been empty at times because of unnecessary hoarding. I urge all of us San Antonians to behave responsibly.”