The San Antonio Symphony currently ranks 55th in terms of national orchestra budgets, says conductor Sebastian Lang-Lessing. Whether recent outpourings of community support can give the struggling Symphony the sustainable future it needs remains an open question.
Viability is a major issue for the San Antonio Symphony, which has struggled to recruit and maintain large corporate and individual donors in its recent past.
The concept of heroism and heroes looms large in this weekend’s SA Symphony concerts, which features selections to honor Martin Luther King Jr.
Nirenberg was frank about the challenges in developing more robust community support, raising money for the current season, and developing a long-term sustainable business plan.
I can’t imagine the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts without the San Antonio Symphony and a vibrant season of orchestral programs.
The $203 million transformation of the historic Municipal Auditorium that reopened as the Tobin in 2014 was conceived and designed to be the home of this city’s performing arts organizations – the opera, ballet, the youth orchestra, and others – but the symphony is the bedrock foundation of them all.
Its season was canceled Wednesday night, but the unraveling of the structure of the San Antonio Symphony had begun months earlier, at a May 5 meeting last year.
This Tricentennial kick-off concert will serve as the last of its season in light of the shut-down announced Wednesday night.
This weekend’s Tricentennial Celebration concerts, Fri. and Sat. Jan. 5-6, will go on, however the remainder of the 2017-18 season has been canceled.
Sebastian Lang-Lessing, the San Antonio Symphony’s music director, said Friday that an upcoming series of Tricentennial concerts set to begin next week will happen.
The San Antonio Symphony’s season includes 14 classical concerts and the popular H-E-B Pops Series, running through early June.