César Chávez Boulevard will close between South Flores Street and Aubrey Street from 6 p.m. Friday to 4 a.m. Monday while construction crews install a new pedestrian bridge over the boulevard.
The bridge will connect the new H-E-B parking garage to the grocery chain’s corporate campus. Police officers will direct traffic flow around the construction area.
Another possible downtown traffic snarl: The University Interscholastic League is holding its boys state basketball tournament at the Alamodome. The competition, which began Thursday, could cause some slowdown on East Market Street through Friday and Saturday. Some 20,000 people are expected to attend the games over the course of the three-day event.
On the North Side, ongoing construction along Loop 1604 in the area of U.S. Highway 281 is resulting in detours. The westbound 1604 frontage road will be closed between Gold Canyon Road and the Stone Oak Parkway exit ramp from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday. That includes the the exit ramp from 1604 to northbound 281. The westbound 1604 frontage road between Gold Canyon and 281, including the 281 northbound exit ramp, also will close between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m. Sunday and Monday.
Some other scheduled closures and detours in the San Antonio area:
- Daily alternating lane closures will begin Monday along a 2-mile stretch of the southbound Loop 1604 frontage road between Medio Creek and Red Musket Trail on the far West Side for culvert, median islands, and guard rail work. The 9 a.m.-3 p.m. daily closures are scheduled through March 30.
- The left main lanes of Interstate 10 in both directions between Fair Oaks Parkway and Ralph Fair Road will be closed from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday for barrier work and permanent crash cushion installation work.
- The eastbound Interstate 10 entrance ramp just east of Farm Road 1516 on the far East Side is closed until further notice. Motorists may take next entrance ramp east of Loop 1604.
- The dedicated right-turn lane from Hausman Road to Bandera Road just outside Loop 1604 is closed during the day through March 25 for utility work and road excavation.
- There are southbound lane
sclosures for barrier work from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily – until further notice – on Walzem Road between Woodlake Parkway and Gibbs-Sprawl Road. The existing seven lanes are narrowed to three, with one in each direction and a two-way turn lane in the middle.
- Daily 9 a.m.-4 p.m. closures of southbound Roland Road between Rigsby Avenue and Hampton Avenue for drainage work continue until March 15.
- The City and San Antonio Water System are working on infrastructure on Camaron Street between West Travis and Kingsbury streets along San Pedro Creek. Crews are closing a full lane one block at a time between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. weekdays, tentatively through March 15.
For more traffic closures, check out the Texas Department of Transportation’s blog and San Antonio’s Transportation and Capital Improvements department.