The City has begun installing pavement and bicycle lane markings on South Alamo Street between César Chávez Boulevard and Pereida Street.
It’s part of a project involving street surface upgrades and the addition of 5-foot-wide bike lanes between Pereida and South St. Mary’s Street.
The work began Thursday, and notices were delivered to each business and resident along the stretch of road ahead of time. It was schedule to be completed before the weekend, according to the San Antonio Transportation and Capital Improvements (TCI) department.
The City has been making additional improvements to this stretch of South Alamo, including enhancements to street lights, striping, roadway signage, and landscaping.
Other project work on South Alamo, including sidewalk improvements, additional pavers in the parkway, and removal of existing vegetated concrete and paver islands in parking areas, is due to continue for the remainder of April.
TCI and other agencies are working on plenty of ongoing projects elsewhere around town. Here’s a status of some road projects and scheduled closures:
- Northbound Interstate 35 at North New Braunfels Avenue will be closed midnight-8 a.m. Saturday for bridge overhang bracket removal.
- Loop 1604 westbound frontage road from Gold Canyon Drive to the U.S. 281 northbound frontage road will be closed midnight to noon Sunday for beam work. Westbound motorists should take the double left at Gold Canyon Drive, take the double left at Redland Road, enter 1604 to bypass the frontage road work, and take the Stone Oak Parkway exi.
- The eastbound left frontage road lane of 1604 and entrance ramps between Redland and Bulverde roads will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. daily Monday until April 18.
- The southbound left lane of 1604 between Pat Booker and Kitty Hawk roads will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Monday until April 19 for barrier pinning work.
- One eastbound 1604 frontage road lane from La Cantera/Peace Boulevard to Vance Jackson Road will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Sunday until April 18 for milling and paving work.
- One main lane of 1604 in both directions between Rogers Ranch and Bandera roads will be closed 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Sunday until April 18 for bridge joint sealing work.
- Texas Department of Transportation’s (TxDOT) planned traffic switch on Interstate 10 on the far East Side has been pushed from Saturday to Sunday. Alternating eastbound main lanes from Foster Road to Farm Road 1516 will be closed 6 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Eastbound traffic will then be shifted to the new permanent main lanes on the new Woodlake Parkway overpass.
- Watch out for a full southbound frontage road closure along 281 from the Sonterra Boulevard exit ramp to the 1604 westbound frontage road for bridge work. This will happen 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Monday until April 19. Sonterra Boulevard traffic should go north on 281, take the turnaround south of Encino Rio and stay on southbound 281. Southbound 281 traffic should stay on southbound 281, take the Donella Drive exit ramp, use the turnaround at Donella and stay on the 281 northbound frontage road.
- There will be a full southbound 1604 main lane closure between Alamo Ranch Parkway and Wiseman Boulevard 9 p.m.-5 a.m. daily Tuesday until April 19 for restriping and pavement marker installation.
- CPS Energy is scheduled to continue work at Castroville Road and South Gen. McMullen through 10 p.m. Saturday. CPS Energy has been working with San Antonio Water System on infrastructure repairs at the Westside intersection.